Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Happy Birthday Mom!

So I've been pretty bad about updating this with my new projects. I have a few! The first one I'll show you will be the cake I made for my Mom for her 60th birthday.
My mom always says her dream is to be in a rock and roll band, so what better than to make her a guitar shaped cake!

I started off by making an 11x15 inch cake (3 boxes of cake mix), 2 8 inch round cakes (1 box) and a 13x9 inch cake (1 box).  I baked them, let them cook, and then leveled them.

I started with the records because I thought that would be easiest.  I iced the whole thing with black icing (buttercream).  Then I found a website online that let me generate my own record album label.

I printed and laminated it.  Then I cut out the middle part and put it on the cake.  Finally I used a lifting comb (yes, like for your hair) to draw the grooves on the side and the top.
Next was the guitar.  I found a coloring picture of an electric guitar online and used that as my model.  I free handed the shape of the guitar onto a piece of wax paper and put it on top of the 11x15 cake.  
I used a kitchen knife to carve the guitar shape out of the cake.  Then I used the remaining pieces to assemble the neck of the guitar.

I did the same thing with the microphone.  I drew a microphone shape on a piece of paper and then I carved it out of the 9x13 cake.
Finally it was time to ice the guitar and the microphone!


I used the black icing to simulate the wire coming out of the microphone to say the words.  There was a lot of leftover cake after carving everything out, so I used the remainder to make cake balls.  That's a blog for another time, but if you want to know what they are google cake balls or cake pops.  They are delicious.  Here's the final product, at the party for my mom.
I also made little purple chocolate guitars and music notes out of a mold and the meltable chocolate I got at the craft store.  It was a great time and everything turned out perfectly!

No comments:

Post a Comment